Saturday, August 14

Scary August!

Summer vacations come to a screeching halt next week, when both Dallas and Richardson schools restart (Dallas on Monday, Richardson on Thursday). Summer vacations in more modern parts of the country end after Labor Day (first Monday in September), but not here.

It's been the coolest August I can remember since moving from California (in 1993). So, waiting until noon to mow the grass didn't seem odd today. Most summers, I cut the grass soon after 8am, since the heat can be less than splendid.

A few seconds after I started the lawnmower and made my way into the front yard, I spotted the Scotts Lawn Care truck parked at the edge of my lawn, ready to do the summer fertilization. I suspect they have A Rule for Encounters with Lawnmowers: a few seconds later, the truck darted away before I could talk to the driver. Maybe they'll return next week?

One of the things I like about Scott's is that they're more professional than Green Thumb (the company they bought), in that they always phone the prior day to let me know they're coming (so I don't leave Beta the Wonder Dog outside, to run away when the gate is opened).

Oftentimes, I only know they've been here by their miniature lawn signs, affixed to a plastic stake in the ground. Not to mention the invoice they wrap around the front doorknob.

Had I thought about it, I would've filmed this encounter for Home Movie Day, although I can't think of any audience that wouldn't be put soundly to sleep. Good thing everyone's watching the Olympics.

No comments: