Friday, October 3

rock and roll

I've been into photography for a long time .. probably had my first camera by 10 or 12 years old. I'm now on my 3rd digital camera. Am mulling a jaunt to the Dallas Arboretum while the Monarch butterflies are in town. There are good photo hints on the National Garden Month web site.

I've heard of Godzilla, then Mozilla and now Birdzilla. Almost makes me want to join the Lepidopterists' Society.

I've been through many earthquakes, when I lived in the Los Angeles basin (until 1993). I don't even blink unless it's a 5.0 or higher. Here are the ones I remember:

#1) My First Earthquake (circa 1983): I just thought someone was banging on the door - very loud. Turns out it was the doorframe and door meeting in a new way.
#2) I was sitting in my car at a stoplight, and I wondered why the signals were swaying and the car bouncing up and down.
#3) I was on the phone with someone back east .. I (rather calmly) advised them that we were having an earthquake, and if the phone disconnected, I'd call them back when service was restored.
#4) I was working late, on the 18th floor of an office in El Segundo (just south of LAX) and wondered why the window blinds were tinkling .. turns out it was the Bay Area quake (23 March 1991)

after a time, you'll develop a second sense about them. You automatically think where you'll go if it gets serious (door frames are the strongest part of a building .. I second-naturedly will go there). Stay away from windows (glass shards), power lines, nuclear reactors, farmers markets, etc.

No comments: