Monday, January 1

what was that? did you see something?

I doubt that I've ever been one to predict The Spark, but I couldn't help but think about this as I watched reports of the crude cellphone video of the moments leading up to Saddam Hussein's execution.

I suspect the transcript is easier for us non-Arabic speakers to understand, but it was clear that the bulk of Those In The Room during the hanging were Shiites exacting revenge on The Lead Sunni. No doubt. True, the members of the judiciary who were there tried to calm them down, abd it wasn't like they knew they were "performing" for a worldwide TV audience .. but this strikes me as The Spark that could truly ignite a genocide of the minority Sunni-Iraqis at the hands of the Shiite-Iraqis, who were subjugated by Saddam's Baath Party for decades.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but this makes me wonder if we've witnessed the Real Spark to an Iraqi Civil War that could make the genocides in Rwanda, Uganda & Darfur look like strolls in the park?

No comments: