Saturday, May 26

Welcome to Ubuntu 7.04, Feisty Fawn!

I guess I felt as if I'd played enough with Fedora that it was time to broaden my horizons (?) so today I removed that Linux partition and substituted another one: Ubuntu 7.04. For some reason, they feel the need to use the English Alphabet to identify their releases, so F [ Feisty Fawn] is the 6th release .. the next will probably be Goofy Grape or somesuch.

I'm entering this blog post from Ubuntu, since the installation was (mostly) trivial and it comes with the Firefox 2.0.0.3 browser (among lots of other stuff, including the OpenOffice.org suite). This PC now has Windows XP Home Edition, Solaris 10 11/06 and Ubuntu 7.04. Fortunately, the GRUB that's included correctly configured the boot menu so Instant Gratification is possible.

The first thing Ubuntu (based on Debian) did after installing and booting was (like Fedora) to search for updates - always a nice touch to know that I have the latest code available.

The more I play with Linux and Mac OS X (based on Berkeley), the more I'm convinced that I've paid my last dime to Microsoft. And yes, that's a good thing.

foo@whitebox:~$ uname -a
Linux whitebox 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

No comments: