Monday, August 18

he's dead, Jim!

no Bones* about it, this house painting job (now ending Day 7) has become annoying. i'll probably look back at it (years from now) and think that this was a simpler time. I truly thought today might be The Last Day, but (as on Saturday) a large crew in the morning does not translate to a large crew all day. by the time the day ended (today and Saturday) there were only 2 painters .. down from a gaggle of 6 or 7.

it's a good thing i'm not paying them by the hour, or i'd be really upset. i suppose it has now crossed the line into Amusementville, although I may (secretly) be cringing when the last painter leaves each day and says "see you tomorrow!" (in a broken English accent).

at least (as of this morning) my office is back together, and the pets are happier when they can camp out with me all day, while I do my real job atop a VPN/DSL connection. so, my day is mostly normal, excepting that i have to keep the door closed all day, lest my critters become part of a bewildered mosaic of oil-based white paint (door frames).

* in the Star Trek [1966-9] TV series, Dr. Leonard McCoy was also known as Bones. His trademark line was (as he checked one of the newly-deceased red-shirted security team) "He's dead, Jim!" (speaking to Enterprise Captain James Tiberious Kirk). After a couple episodes, I felt sorry for anyone who beamed down to a planet while wearing a red shirt (28 died during the 3-year series run). I certainly know that I would be kicking and screaming before anyone put me in that matter transporter while wearing red, because it was fairly certain that I would not be back for the next episode.

No comments: