Thursday, August 7

(queue music) It's a small world, after all ...

I've added Reuters™ (they describe themselves as a global information company) to my list of daily web visits. They have one of those nice push services where stuff lands in my mailbox without the use of my own brain cells. For now, I'm receiving the Technology feed, and nothing more.

.. and here's the Reuters item which predicated the title of today's blog: Six Degrees Experiment Proves It's a Small World (related site: The Small World Project). The idea is simple: get a message to a distant person (whom you do not know) by using intermediaries. Count the number of persons the message passes through (the average is 6, hence the popular phrase Six Degrees of Separation).

This reminds me of the game of "telephone", where you see how a simple message can be wildly miscommunicated as it passes from person to person. Trivia: this game may also be known as [Chinese Whispers].

No comments: