Saturday, September 18

days turn into weeks @ Amazon

Is it just me, or is something weird amiss at Amazon.com?

For both the Books of Amazon and the DVDs of DVDuniverse, I keep a Wish List until there are enough items to make the shipping costs a moot point (I won't pay $5 to ship an $8 item). So, on August 11th I fired up Amazon's Wish List and bought ten books; every one said "Usually ships in 1-2 days". There were enough to get FREE Super Saver Shipping. Imagine my surprise when it said "Delivery estimate: August 30, 2004 - September 14, 2004" Huh?

Assuming that was a mistake, I sat back to watch; after all, I didn't need any of those books overnight. The next email arrived on September 11, advising that 8 of the 10 books were on their way (via UPS from Lexington, Kentucky) ... then another email this Thursday, saying that one of those two stragglers had shipped via USPS (it arrived today from Coffeeville, Kansas). Now, only one is still Out There Somewhere (an email a few days ago asked me to confirm a delay in that book's shipment).

Bottom line? My purchase of 10 books, made August 11, will have arrived in 3 shipments, from September 14th until (whenever the last one arrives, presumably via USPS). Hmm .. strange.

Alas, it's time to go Read My New Books. Woo hoo.

Unrelated #1: the first Christmas catalog of the season arrived today (from L.L. Bean). I was wondering about that delay, too. Only 98 days until Christmas; I'd better get cracking!

Unrelated #2: I ordered some flea medicine for Beta the Wonder Dog via the web (it's significantly cheaper than my local vet). Imagine my amusement when the package arrived yesterday - from Australia! And yes, the medicines were made in the USA. So, it's cheaper to make them here, ship them to Australia, then to my home in Dallas .. than it is to drive a mile to the veterinarian. Bizarre!

Unrelated #3: GOP tells West Virginians: you are complete morons.

No comments: