Friday, September 10

dearth of breakfast: woe is me!

Okay, I'll admit it; I'm a breakfast junkie. So, I'm especially irritated when my favorite breakfast places disappear. At Coit & Campbell (SE), both Charlie D's and Crescent City Beignets have closed, leaving Nikki's Cafe as the only breakfast spot in that area (I don't count Whataburger or Starbucks). Also, Gilbert's NY Deli on Beltline (which had The Freshest Omelets In The World) just vanished.

Now I'm left with opposite ends of the Breakfast Spectrum: La Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe (and their yummy Strawberries Romanoff) versus Bic's Coffee Shop, which redefines the word BeerBiscuits. Hmm. Sadly, you can't find a good Cat Head Biscuit in Dallas, far as I know.

Given Crescent City's departure, I'll have to make my own beignets (one website described them as a cross between a French pastry and a doughnut)! Fortunately there is Cafe Du Monde® Beignet Mix (available at Kroger) which is supposedly best prepared with cottonseed oil! Michelle spotted (Turkey Gold brand) cottonseed oil (from PYCO Industries) at Academy Sports & Outdoors, in the Outdoor Cooking section. Yeah, sure .. I would've thought of going to a sporting goods store for cooking oil, sure!

Good news: Bagelstein's relocation to Coit & Arapaho (NW) has been successful (I've breakfasted there twice since The Big Move from Spring Valley Road), although I wonder if their old customers have found them.

Finally, due to tens of thousands of requests, I posted yesterday's Sundry on Thursday. This should restore calm to the world.

No comments: