Wednesday, September 17

FOR FEE HICK SEDAN

Following Saturday's regional meeting of MaGaW, I searched the web for Closed Caption Bloopers. This is when the onscreen text does Not Exactly correspond to the spoken words (invariably during a live event, such as a news broadcast). Example: TV reporter says "4-vehicle accident" and the caption says "FOR FEE HICK SEDAN".

Closed Captions for previously-recorded shows are done with much less time pressure and are more accurate. I've heard that many live events are done by a contractor at the other end of a telephone line, who uses a machine similar to that of a court reporter. TV reporters sporting a regional accent provide for the most entertaining closed captions.

speaking of closed captions: the August 2003 "winner" of FUM BEYOCH was written before Wesley Clark (Arkansas) entered the race for Democratic presidential candidate (making him the 10th candidate in a field led (for now) by Howard Dean (Vermont)).

I never did find a Closed Caption Bloopers site, but I did wander across Movie Bloopers Online which has potential, but it'll be a long time before it becomes a classic.

The next time I need a culture fix (assuming I'm out of yogurt) I will peruse a listing of local art dealers here: Dallas Art Dealers Association. I wonder if this place (Cooper Aerobics Center - Clinic) has any art? Maybe a guy named Arthur?

Finally, kudos to Eric for this pointer: SlashNOT - Satire for nerds. Geek humor that matters. A parody of Slashdot.

No comments: