Tuesday, September 16

even more glamorous travel !

While looking for a web page that deals with the Miami metro (which does not include TSP (Tampa-St Petersburg) - hey, it's early in the morning!) I wandered across m-travel.com which includes an article: 50 US airports ranked by use of mobile technology. It says that DFW is highly ranked (2nd) for the number of wireless access points at the airport.

I tried to tell m-travel about the error on their chart (SAN = San Diego, not San Jose) but got a mailer-daemon saying their account is over quota. Oh well .. maybe they'll figure out the error on their own.

I haven't gotten into wireless networks yet, partly (primarily?) because of all the stories I read about security. My home is wired for 10BaseT and gigabit Ethernet, which allows me faster-than-most-wireless access in nearly every room. I saw some gizmo (or was it a gadget?) which detects WAPs (wireless access points) without a computer .. it's about the size of a "USB disc drive", costs about $25 and saves the time involved in powering up your laptop at the local Starbucks or wherever looking for an 802.11 network.

Note to self #1: watch for the 802.16 networks, which span a 31-mile(ish) radius.

Note to self #2: wait for version 2 of this gadget-gizmo, which will undoubtedly determine
1) if there are multiple WAPs; and
2) if the WAP requires a password, or if it means that you can use this network for free. Yes, I've seen the stories about McDonald's bundling an hour's worth of wireless access with your Happy Meal™ ...

No comments: