Wednesday, September 3

los perros grande

Something you will not find at Gloria's (Salvadoran restaurant, in Village on the Parkway) are Jumex Juices & Nectars, but they are available in such ethnic groceries as Kroger y Tom Thumb! I was shocked to find that (via the hierarchies.org website) Kern's Nectars (my favorite from California, and a competitor to Jumex) is owned by Libby's which is owned by Nestle.

I'd hate to be in the grocery business in Dallas, trying to make money. Within two miles of my home, there are 3 Albertsons; Danals; Fiesta Mart; Kroger; Neighborhood Market (owned by Wal-Mart); 2 Tom Thumb (owned by Safeway); and Whole Foods groceries. Just a bit further up the road is Central Market (owned by H.E.B.). They all cannot survive.

Several months ago, I saw that fresh tortillas (plain, wheat or salsa) are made at the local Kroger (signature) store. I asked about corn tortillas and was told they're harder to make in that environment, so don't expect them anytime soon. The Big Dog (locally) of Mexican groceries is Fiesta Mart which moved into the old Tom Thumb location (SE corner of Spring Valley & Coit). The parking lot of the Danal's Super Mercado (a few hundred yards east, and once a hotbed of activity) is now almost vacant.

I Google'd for Danal's but came up empty. I did find GoodExperience.com (a sad competitor to the Big Dog in that space: epinions.com)

No comments: