Wednesday, July 9

Automotive bureaucracy

I live in Dallas County, and have to go to downtown Dallas to pick up replacement license plates; the reflective paint only lasts 5 years, so you must replace them, even if the old ones are not worn out. I have personal plates (which cost an extra $40/year here). When I lived in California, there were many more personal plates, because the fees were more reasonable. As I recall, I had to pay the "personalized fee" once, and after that it was treated like any other renewal.

I don't need to have the safety inspection this year; my car is now 2 years old. If I did, this DPS - Texas Department of Public Safety web site would be useful: AirCheckTexas.com (vehicle emissions inspection for certain "problem" counties)

these are 2 common emissions inspection tests:
ASM Acceleration Simulation Mode
OBDII On Board Diagnostics-Second Generation

DriveCleanAcrossTexas.org (public education about smog, not recommended for drivers of pickup trucks)

Texas law prohibits any person from operating a motor vehicle emitting visible smoke for 10 seconds or longer on Texas roadways. If you see a vehicle belching smoke, you can report it up to 30 days after the fact:
Smoking Vehicle Program (smokingvehicle.org)
(1-800-453-SMOG)
(1-800-453-7664)
You should write down the license plate, date & time, and location. The state has a nice online reporting form.

If you spot some moron littering (including cigarettes), go to DontMessWithTexas.org

If you need to renew your driver's license, you may be able to do it online: texasonline.com

No comments: