Tuesday, July 22

Note to self: avoid bowling after dental work

Well, there's good (yet unrelated) news following yesterday's dental work: our bowling team swept the 4 games against our co-workers, and we fully expect to be in 1st place (of 13 teams) when the new standings are announced. Woo hoo! We have another 4 weeks of bowling in this summer (co-ed, handicapped) league.

However, I'm not claiming any credit for last night's win, since my scores declined from game to game (I usually get better as the night goes on).

Fast reverse to 3pm: the dentist's waiting room was full, with a 4-year old camped out near the door, while his seated mother (babysitter? - never assume motherhood) tried to ignore him. He looked up at me with a non-descript look; I stepped over him and told the receptionist that I Had Arrived for my clean-and-polish, then quickly seated myself and pretended to go to sleep. I only had a minute or two to wait.

The hygienist started off by taking my blood pressure (129/80), then took 4 Bite-Wing X-rays, but otherwise things were normal. The big excitement was trying a new "fruit flavored" polish : turns out it was pineapple! But then, it was time to spring The News: I was scheduled to have 2 cavities filled. Oh no! Didn't they know I had to bowl at 6:30? Well, no .. they didn't ask when they called to make the appointment (last Thursday).

That's the one complaint I have with my dentist: I seldom know when anything other than a cleaning is about to occur. So, yesterday it turned out I was due for 2 fillings after the cleaning (which, like a haircut, takes about an hour). I told the dentist that I was due to bowl, so he agreed to "go easy on me". I emerged from the dentist's office only 75 minutes before bowling, with the right side of my nose, and my upper right mouth, feeling like numb putty.

The novocaine (or whatever they use for pain killing during the cavity-filling) wore off. I went into the night with a positive attitude, and bowled about 50 pins above average - on the first game. The other team was going very slow - one member retreated to the parking lot for a smoke break every 30 minutes or so, and we didn't get out of there until 9:30 (we're usually done by 8:30).

My mouth kept getting drier and drier, so I resorted to 2 extra-large Cokes to give me a caffeine boost (that just made me bloated). I decided to bypass the haƻte cuisine locally described as The Alley Burger (one of my teammates said it was "well stretched with soy"). Wonder if they plan to add a Gutter Dog to the menu anytime soon? Although they have an extensive menu (more than 20 items!), this is Bowling Alley Food (and not to be compared with the fine dining that is the Whataburger across the street).

This morning, I'm feeling coldness in one of those fillings, which I hope will wear off.

No comments: