Saturday, July 5

The palm that is not on my hand

In addition to the stuff I learn by reading the DMN, there are all sorts of random observations I make throughout the day. I wonder how long before I repeat myself? I wonder how long before I repeat myself?

My entire life is stored in the few square inches of my Personal Digital Assistant [PDA]: Palm™ Tungsten|T™ (aka T|T, aka m550). I'm using only 6 of the T|T's 14 MB (I've added a 256 MB expansion card (Secure Digital [SD]), which helps a lot with storing photos, long documents, etc.).

I bought my T|T as an open-box item from Fry's Electronics™. Like most electronic gadgets, it dropped in price after I bought one!

The T|T is the 3rd Palm I've bought; I sold my two previous Palms to co-workers (a Vx and an m130). I bought the Vx in October 2000, and replaced it with the m130 in November 2002. I quickly realized that I just would never be happy with the m130, so (3 months later - February 2003) I bought the T|T for $370.

The T|T is much, much faster than the predecessors; it uses the Texas Instruments™ OMAP™ processor and is Bluetooth 1.1 compliant (meaning: I can communicate wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices within the 10 meter spec). I've tested this with a co-worker's Nokia™ 3650 cellphone (he sent a photo).

Fry's was not in Dallas, when I moved here in August 1993. I knew of Fry's expansion from the San Francisco Bay Area (where I often travel on business), and in the Los Angeles basin where I lived from 1983-1993. In early 1997, Fry's bought 6 of the 17 Incredible Universe [IU] stores from Tandy Corp (who closed the remaining locations); TIU had 2 stores in the Metroplex; in 2003, Fry's built their 3rd Metroplex location in Coppell (near DFW Airport, north of I-635) this year. I guess they really, really like us.

I have to remember not to stretch in my office, early in the day. I keep hitting the ceiling fan with my hands, and it hurts. Why do I keep doing this? The fan in my office is the only one which doesn't have something underneath (a table, a bed). I have 5 ceiling fans in my house; in the summer, they run nonstop. In theory, using ceiling fans minimizes the air conditioning bill.

Electricity deregulation came to Texas [TX] a year or so ago; I switched from TXU™ to Entergy™ and should save 11% this year.

I have a 1200-watt microwave oven (Sharp™ Carousel) .. I usually adhere to the recommended cooking time, but set the power at 8 (80%) and that works pretty well. Today's breakfast came at 10am (very late for me), and is an Uncle Ben's breakfast bowl (sourdough pancakes and sausage was today's variant).

No comments: