Monday, October 4

attack of the wild tree rats!

Another brutal Texas winter is approaching fast! How do I know? Well, for the past few days, the wild tree rats (aka grey squirrels) have been busy burying nuts across my yard. A pair of these vermin produces about 6 more every year, and they live about 7 years unless killed by one of their natural predators : a housecat, or an SUV speeding through my neighborhood. Once they're kilt [sic] you can fry `em up in a variety of ways.

There's entertaining Squirrel Info on memepool, although the stuff about squirrel-proofing a bird feeder is on the Looney Tunes side. I've used a squirrel baffle for many years, and it easily keeps them out of the feeder. What it does not do is keep them away from the base, after the bird-brained birds knock the seed to the ground.

Speaking of wild rats -- there's a (supposedly non-partisan) web site called Political FactCheck.org .. I'll have to go there every few days to see how close this site is, to reality.

Speaking of reality -- the Political Sign Wars continue unabated. Tony Goolsby is a cranky 70-year old running for re-election; the Dallas Managed News endorsed his opponent -- a 50-something named Harriet Miller. The green-and-white signs of Goolsby are in sharp contrast to his challenger's red-and-white ones (which inexplicably emphasize HARRIET .. perhaps to avoid a comparison with Dallas Mayor Laura Miller, who is not up for re-election this year).

I spotted a yard sign advising me to
VOTE STRAIGHT REPUBLICAN
I'm waiting for her neighbor to place a balancing
VOTE GAY REPUBLICAN
sign Real Soon Now. Hey, it could happen. And it would be entertaining!

1 comment:

total said...

Yeah, damn pesky squirrels. I've been going everywhere trying to buy some fox urine, and mostly I get looks like I just flew in from another planet and trying to buy baby guts. "Yeah, I BET you got 'squirrels in the attic'!"

Fortunately I was in West Texas week before last, and not only had a couple of the stores heard of the stuff, one of them (Gebo's Farm Supply in Lubbock) actually had some.

And it works too. I sprayed some in the attic, and the next day Mama Squirrel and all the babies were on the neighbors' fence, chattering angrily at their former entrance hole (which we then patched) ...