Sunday, October 3

¿California del sur no es importante?

I scored 43 of 71 on the True Test Of Your Southern-ness, which ranks me as a Southern sympathizer. Hmmm. I guess being born in Southern California doesn't make as Southern as I thought.



This afternoon (out of curiosity) I attended a meeting of the Dallas Area Interfaith [DAI] where the candidates for the TX-32 Congressional District were invited, along with officials from the Dallas Police Department, the Dallas Independent School District, and Dallas City Council (John Loza).

The Democratic incumbent -- Martin Frost was there -- but the CFRP Member (Pete $e$$ion$) was a no-show. An item in today's DMN said that $e$$ion$ stated that he doesn't want to be seen on the same stage; so much for letting your constituents know how you stand. There's a lot of acrimony in this race, when the TX-32 district was gerrymandered in one of those Special Sessions of the Texas Legislature. The inexperienced Republican expects to win because he expects the locals to vote partisan, and not consider his record. It's interesting that these two somehow agreed to participate in 5 debates (the first happened on September 12, and the next one will be Wednesday night).

About 500 people attended today's DAI meeting, and I was amused to see 8 school buses parked outside when I left .. many people didn't have cars. The meeting was bilingual, with some officials providing their own Spanish translation (most depended on someone else). The agenda didn't have the religious overtone that I expected; the primary topics were personal safety; education and immigration. Oftentimes the questions took longer than the answers!

I suspect this bilingual issue is part of The Future of Texas; many elementary school are already majority Hispanic. A 2003 United States Census Bureau survey shows Texas is 49.5 percent white; 35.3 percent Hispanic; 10.8 percent black; and 3 percent Asian.

2 comments:

total said...

I only scored 45 out of 71, and I was born in Oklahoma and raised in Texas. I think it was the car questions that threw me off ...

Anonymous said...

I think I got 43 right, but only because I started Googling for answers about half way through. Keep in mind, though, that Texans aren't southerners, our membership in the Confederacy notwithstanding. We're Texans, and that's different. For example, we don't care about SEC football. Neither do we care about Kentucky whiskey or mint juleps (we drink beer and tequila, like God intended). So while the test was fun, it is also clear that the South(tm) being tested was east of the Miss'ippi. That also excuses Oklahomans and Arkansans.

-- William Bob