Saturday, April 3

Final score: Blue 1, Yellow 5

I finally got around to drinking a can of dnL today (upside down 7up) and noticed that the green coloring comes from a mix of blue & yellow food coloring. This would've made a great St. Patricks Day offering. I was surprised to read about some people's (1 in 10,000) adverse reaction to Yellow 5 as explained on the Food Color Facts publication (on the International Food Information Council site).

.. and to think this came near the end of my screening of The Egg and I (1947) which is on the Ma & Pa Kettle, Volume 1 DVD. The movie stars Fred MacMurray & Claudette Colbert, who are upstaged by Marjorie Main & Percy Kilbride as Ma & Pa Kettle. This film debuted soon after World War II ended, and hearkens (did I just say "hearkens"?) back to a simpler time, of rural barnyard humor. Fascinating. Word is this eventually led to the TV series Petticoat Junction and Green Acres and (40 years later) to “The Simple Life.”

No comments: