Friday, November 28

Friday Five

Do you like to shop? Why or why not?
No; it's not a good use of my time, unless I know exactly what I'm seeking. Internet shopping (ro)bots are better. Life is too short to wander aimlessly through retail stores because they usually don't stock what I want (stores obsess with getting the cheapest available stuff, and in my mind .. low cost = inferior quality).

What was the last thing you purchased?
A Western Bacon combo at a (somewhat rare in these parts) Carl's Jr. restaurant (at a Love's Truck Stop in Van, TX). This was on the way home after going Over The River and Through The Woods. When I lived in California, I dined at Carl's often, so I made an extra effort to stop at this one after spotting it on Tuesday.

Do you prefer shopping online or at an actual store? Why?
It depends. At an actual store, it's easier to judge quality. I purchase almost all big-ticket (photography, etc.) items over the web, as well as DVDs; CDs; books (Wish Lists are great, but shipping fees associated with impulse buys will negate the savings if you're not careful). Almost every time I've bought shoes or clothing over the web, I've had to exchange it (why can't a size 11 be the same from one manufacturer to another? grrrrr.)

Did you get an allowance as a child? How much was it?
Yes, but it wasn't much. It started as $1 a week, then eked up to $10 a week before I got my first job (stringing tennis rackets)

What was the last thing you regret purchasing?
Anything cheaply made (which I view as throwing my hard-earned money away). I think the real cost of an item is the difference between the least-acceptable (quality) item and what I want to buy. Example: the cost of a car is the difference between what I want, and a utilitarian/dependable vehicle (it can't be butt-ugly either .. I won't drive a Pontiac Aztek).