Monday, July 4

alarm clock malfunction

I found it hard to get motivated yesterday; not sure why. It wasn't until about 4pm that I went outside, and decided to see where NerdBooks was, in Plano. I sincerely doubt they have anything even resembling a retail operation, but I was surprised to see how large the facility is, following their move from TBA (The Bay Area). This is where the DFW Unix User Group's meeting, following several years at a JC Penney building near 75-Central and 635-LBJ (before that, they met at the [long gone] SGI building near LBJ-Preston).

After the brief road trip to Plano, I went to a friend's house to see if she was telling the truth about a family of ducks who've taken over her swimming pool. Well, it's true. The nest is in the middle of some iris plants (freshly opened eggshells still visible) and a morsel of 5-day old ducklings swimming from one end of the pool to another, over and over and over again. I don't know whether that was relaxing, or mirthful.
update: she called Dallas Animal Control about relocating the ducks, and was told they can't - because they're considered "protected fowl" under a Federal Law!!

Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918
Migratory Bird Treaty Reform Act of 1998
Alas, I then found myself catching up on some multi-week old TiVo stuff, including a few Twilight Zone episodes (tomorrow is a Twilight Zone marathon on the SciFi channel, I think). How long will it take me to catch up? I didn't watch them while growing up (they were new in the late 50s/early 60s) so have several years of catching up to do.

Later today, I just must mosey to the grocery for some cherries.

No comments: