Thursday, July 15

President Mike Ditka

Without fanfare, I was removed from the PlanetSun.org listing today, some 70 days or so since I was laid off with 3299 others.  As Dave Attell says at the end of each Insomniac episode, "well, I still have my pictures!".  Thanks for all the fish, everyone.  
 
I mused about underemployment a few days ago, when the receipt checker at Sam's Club mentioned that he held an MBA.  His job now is to make sure the number of items in your basket equal the number on the receipt.  
 
Here's an article along a tangent: The high cost of employee disengagement talks about how workers are showing up, but not being productive. This doesn't surprise me, given my rationale for working from home the last few years. When I'd go into the office (the cube farm) I could hear 6 or so conversations at a time, and almost never about work. There were people who show up to play Fantasy Sports (online), or read the newspaper or a novel, or track their portfolio, or find and print recipes, or arrange their soccer team's schedule. But work? Not part of the game plan.  Naturally, all those slackers still have high-paying jobs; go figure. See the article about cyberloafing (if you have nothing else to do).
 
Spotted: FreeAdvice Forums has lots of good stuff regarding everyday legal issues. Recommended reading, and the price can't be beat.  It's something you can do from the office, while pretending to work (see the preceding paragraph if you missed the irony).

No comments: