Thursday, July 1

Hey, Buford -- we're #50 -- AGIN!

Perhaps Texas' low high school graduation percentages are why the DMN's Letters to the Editor are dominated by idiots? I guess sometime I'd like to see all the letters received, and not just 8 or 10 each day. Then I could decide how representative the published ones are .. to reality.

Some newspapers around the country are writing that high school graduation rates are the highest ever, but not in Texas; buried on page 4A of the Dallas Managed News is a story about how Texas is dead last. The results are punctuated by the ethnic divide, especially amongst Hispanics (32% of the population, yet only 51% graduated, compared to 91% of Anglos, who are 52% of the population). I wonder how this is being played in the DMN's Spanish-language (Al Dia) newspaper (I couldn't find the article in either the English- or Spanish-language online versions).

Granted, these percentages can be misleading. Let's assume (humor me) that it's more difficult to graduate in Texas, than in New Hampshire. Perhaps the TAKS [Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills] test brought down the graduation rate, because we're more demanding here?

By the way, I've already updated my Sundry on Thursday blog .. those are interesting items that didn't make it here on the Gene Bob Blog(tm).

No comments: