Friday, July 2

Fahrenheit

Okay, after some tasty German trout for lunch, I went to see Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 at the new Angelika theatre in Plano (at Legacy and the Tollway).

My quick reaction (to be followed by something more substantive, Real Soon Now) is that Michael is becoming a better filmmaker, for sure. I saw Roger & Me when I lived in Los Angeles, and watched Bowling for Columbine last year. While Michael does leave out some very key details (so as to get his point across) he's not trying so hard to be the center of attention, which is good.

Yes, Moore oversimplifies (partially to make it fit the 2 hours), but this whole discussion is exceedingly complex. Anyone who thinks they can understand it with a few sounds bites is sadly mistaken. I wish Michael had elaborated on the pathetic job the American news media are doing, but that's for another rant. See President Bush in Ireland for a sample of what I mean. I've found myself gravitating to international TV (satellite) and various RSS feeds from outside the country, so as to see what the rest of the world is seeing. If you can't imagine yourself listening to opposing viewpoints and making up your own minds, well .. that in itself is a huge part of our problem.

Bottom line? If you consider yourself rational, and are able to listen to an opposing viewpoint, go see this movie. If you've already made up your mind that George W. Bush should be re-elected regardless, you're a lost cause and should have your voter registration card revoked anyway. Yes, I am dead serious.

No comments: