Sunday, July 25

social experiment at 4am

A few weeks ago (during one of my extended bouts with insomnia) I visited the local Denny's at 4am, to determine if the crowd at that hour was coming or going (waking up, or still awake from the night before). I'd guess about 10 tables were full at that hour: one was full of Farmers Branch patrolmen (the 4 police cars outside were a clue); another had one of those awkward couples seated on the same side of the booth (he appeared 70, she appeared 20); then there were the two guys who rushed in, ate their breakfast and left before passing out in their eggs.

The loudest table were a group of Hispanics, one apparently a bit drunk as he was loud (not to mention calling most everyone in his cellphone's address book to ask how they're doing at 4am). He was hitting on one of the waitresses, who unwisely chose to be nice to them (he kept calling for her: Haaay Watamalllllan [Guatamalan]). My next adventure will be to see if the 4am crowd at IHOP is similar.



I forgot to mention last week's Culinary Delight of the Week: the (recently moved) Bagelstein's is now at Coit & Arapaho (NW corner) after a move from the increasingly Hispanic-only area where they'd been for many years. I guess it's hard to pitch a kosher deli when you're surrounded by taco stands.

While there for a breakfast meeting, I opted for the veggie omelet and then had to decide which Cheese To Choose (I opted for Swiss, dunno why). It was fresh and Yummy, and I'm happy to report the hash browns were prepared the way they're supposed to be: on the side (and not inside a burrito, as some places near Boyd, Texas seem to think is natural).

No comments: