Sunday, August 15

blood: what a ripoff!

I donated another unit of blood today; I'm getting to be a regular! My blood pressure was down to 110/78 which is the best it's been in years. Must be the lack of work-related stress.

You're allowed to give whole blood every 8 weeks, and it had been about 10 since my last visit. Even so, the screening questionaire has changed again.

I noticed that the money-for-sex questions are slightly different. Now they ask "have you paid for sex in the past year?", and "have you ever received money for sex?"

There may have been a change in the questions about which drugs you're on/ever taken, but I usually breeze past those rapidly since my pharmaceutical intake has always been minimal. It's still: 81mg aspirin (preventive) and 400 IU Vitamin E, twice daily (also preventive). I have switched to the natural (d- vs dl-) form of Vitamin E, after reading that it absorbs better, but the questionaire didn't want that detail.

Today, I noticed that the nurse said I could remove the bandage after 4 hours (I don't recall that advice before) so I waited 4 hours and 10 minutes before ripping it off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my great regrets is that I can no longer donate blood. Over the years (from 1969 until the late 1990s) I donated regularly several times a year; then the Red Cross decided that they wouldn't accept blood from anyone who lived in the UK during the vCJD ("mad cow disease") years.