Tuesday, August 10

Gene Bob, Master Chef

Last Sunday, I decided to (finally!) try baking my own pizza. And no - not the frozen kind that every grocery has by the hundreds. This one was made with fresh dough and fresh ingredients. All I had to do was transport it home and bake it in the safety of my own oven. And thus, the adventure began.

The place is Nick-N-Willy's Pizza, in the same building as the Starbucks at Coit/Campbell. It's not in a great location, and that may provide for cheaper rent than Starbucks, but probably costs them a lot of business. You have to know they're there.

I arrived at about 4pm, and waited 5 minutes or so while they tossed the pizza dough in the air, then added the cheese and other ingredients. I opted for the Monthly Special - Little Nell's Chicken BBQ pizza: olive oil glaze; mozzarella; barbecue chicken; fresh cilantro; red onions.

When I got it home, I heated the oven to 425F and inserted the pizza on the top rack. The instructions suggested I should "burst the bubbles" after about 3 minutes, so I did that, and then waited another 10 for it to bake to perfection. Well, almost. I remember when I bought the house that one oven runs about 25 degrees hot, but I can never remember which one. Now, I think it's the top one, since it cooked a wee bit crispy. I usually cook things at a lower temperature for a longer time, so it hasn't been a huge issue. Plus, there this other kitchen gadget that I use a lot more - called a microwave oven.

Anyhoo, Nick (or Willy's) pizza doesn't use a pizza pan; it cooks atop a sheet of parchment that Nick (or Willy) provides. If they hadn't told me, I might've thought the parchment would catch fire in the oven, but I trusted their instructions and there was no problem.

So, while watching [60 Minutes] on CBS, Beta the Wonder Dog enjoyed the breadcrust on the outer edge, and I salivated and drooled over the interior. Verdict? Thumbs up (although I might opt for something more exotic - like their Big Kahuna which is an Hawaiian pizza, but with Mandarin oranges as part of the mix). They also appear to have a standing deal on a traditional pepperoni ($5.99) for those less daring of you (yes, Jill-Bob .. this means you).

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ahem, GB seems to be confused about my wilingness to try less conventional things, apparently based solely on liking to do Friday lunches at places that are a) not crowded [we never know exactly how many are coming], b) not noisy [I prefer to talk with friends, not shout], and c) have a good beer selection [yum]. As it happens, Chicken BBQ pizza was one of my favorites in college, as was Ham and/or Canadian Bacon and Pineapple. Yum! Heck, we had the latter two weekends ago during the garage sale. Mandarin Oranges on a pizza is just dandy by me, too!