Friday, March 4

Gene Bob gets a pedometer

A few days ago, I remembered to stop by Oshman's (becoming The Sports Authority) and buy a pedometer. Oddly enough, I didn't find any at the auto parts store, or the grocery, or the movie theatre, or the music store (all places that I frequent). After a brief inspection, I decided to get the Sportline model 353 which has an FM radio. This may be a new model, since it's not yet listed on the Sportline website.

Turns out it also talks at pre-determined intervals if you're not listening to the radio (stuff like "1,000 steps!" .. "10 minutes" .. "50 calories!" etc.) That has the potential to get old fast, and the manual says it can be disabled. In theory, I should be walking 10,000 steps per day, but I suspect it's quite a bit less now; I just don't know how much less.

The package didn't say that 2 AAA batteries were required, and not included. Fortunately, I keep a stash of common batteries in the house, so I didn't have to make another trip, but that could've been annoying.

It asked me to set my stride (22 inches is "average" so says the manual) and weight, and then all I have to do is start walking. It suggests doing my usual routine and then checking it 3 days later to get a baseline, so I'll do that.



Unrelated #0: The North Texas Irish Festival starts tonight in Fair Park, and ends Sunday.

Unrelated #1: The Texas Scottish Festival (and Highland Games) is the first weekend in June, at the UT-Arlington stadium.

No comments: