Saturday, December 18

lockjaw? no thanks!

I'm probably not a huge believer in real win-win situations. It seems that deals invariably leave one party or the other with a lopsided victory. So, it is with great glee that I experienced one this morning.

One gent in my neighborhood was looking for a new farwood supplier, and I've been trying to get rid of the wood left over before I got the gas farplace, so ... I donated the remaining wood. It's been there a few years, and some logs were in contact with the ground and starting to become One With Nature, but my neighbor took the rest of it off my hands. Woo hoo. This will make My Termite Guy a happy camper.

However, all is not without a price. Turns out I stepped on what appears to be a roofer's nail of some sort:

I suspect this thing has been sitting in my driveway since my house was reroofed in 2003. Today, it found its way all the way through the sole of my shoe, through a heavy sock and into the space between my big toe and the one next to it. When I came inside from fetching the snail-mail, I hear a clicking sound, like I was wearing taps; that's when I found the thing above.

I checked my foot and spotted the mini-gash. Naturally, this happened on a weekend, so instead of going to my doctor or (heaven forbid!) the emergency room, I stopped at a local doc-in-the-box, where they checked the wound and gave me my first-ever tetanus shot (unless I was given one as a child). The DITB did a good job with the shot; I didn't even feel it. Now all I have to do is keep the wound clean, so I don't develop lockjaw or get an infected foot. Tra la la.

Unrelated: it's now time to address my Retaliatory Christmas Cards [RCC]. Those are for the nice folks who send you a card, but they weren't on your outbound list. Yet. Now, for the rest of their natural lives, they'll get one from me. I usually wait until 3 or 4 days before Christmas Eve (the last day mail's delivered before Christmas) to mail Christmas Cards, which will be Monday or Tuesday. That way, it's too late for them to send an RCC of their own (to arrive before Christmas). Nefarious, huh?

No comments: