Wednesday, December 15

suddenly, I feel BrainBoost'ed

I was using a9 to find the average lifespan of an indoor cat, when I spotted an unfamiliar site in my sight: BrainBoost™ - Question Answering Search Engine.

Hmm .. the results were useful (albeit contradictory, for the indoor cat query) but I see potential here that was never quite realized by Ask Jeeves (probably the best-known interrogatory search engine). I shall bookmark BrainBoost for future use. Also (if you scroll down their home page) you just gotta be amused by their sample questions (such as "How much meat was on the Titanic?").

As a test, I asked the age-old question "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" and didn't find an answer. Maybe some things are not meant to be known.

One cool thing about the BrainBoost site is the (refreshing!) recognition that there are other search engines, and provides a one-click way of seeing their competitor's results. For example, I asked about the distance between Dallas and Amarillo, and BrainBoost said "I don't know." It then suggested:
Compare our results, Try your question on other engines:
Alta Vista | Ask Jeeves | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos | MIT's START | Yahoo
Unrelated ...

I continue to be frustrated with the employment scene .. most potential employers are happy to post job openings on their web site, but make no attempt to even acknowledge receipt of a submitted resume. Sadly, networking isn't helping yet either, although Everybody Knows™ that's the best way to approach The Job Hunt. Yesterday, I heard of a lead - in Nogales ("walnuts") Arizona .. the social Mecca of the USA.



Everybody Knows is a trademark of Fox "News"; Rush Limbaugh Productions; [Ann Coulter's] Foul Mouth Enterprises; and the Christian Fascist Republican Party.

No comments: