Tuesday, December 21

Dihydrogen Oxide ban - coming soon?

COX-2 [cyclo-oxygenase-2] inhibitors (a subset of NSAIDs) are aimed at those with arthritis and acute pain, and they're under attack. First, VIOXX® (Merck's rofecoxib) was pulled off the shelves; Merck says VIOXX can cause strokes, heart attacks, even death (not good). Then (a week later) Pfizer says Celebrex® (Pfizer's celecoxib - another Cox-2 inhibitor) is dangerous in high doses. Pfizer will still sell it, but won't advertise it.
Deep Thought # 49: I can seldom figure out what malady most advertised drugs are purported to cure, anyhoo. All I know is, that whatever they're selling will make me smile, dance and sing.
Today, I read that Aleve® (Bayer's naproxen) could be a problem, too -- and it's not even a COX-2 inhibitor! Aleve is often used as a substitute for aspirin, or Tylenol® {sigh}

Now, I can only wait for the headline:
Dihydrogen Oxide* Banned!
* aka H2O, aka water

I predict this ban will happen once someone figures out that the stuff can cause some people (usually those whose heads are below it) to drown.



At first, I thought it was a joke .. but no .. there he is .. George W. Bush named as TIME Magazine's Person of the Year. You may have heard of this bonehead (48% of Americans just call Him President Quagmire); he's the worst president (by a long shot) in my lifetime. I went to TIME's website and immediately cancelled my subscription. All I needed was my subscriber number (located on the address label) and my ZIP code. Sayonara, TIME.

BTW, I think this makes their appointment of the Ayatollah Khomeini (1979) seem positively inspired.

No comments: