Saturday, June 11

Freedom is Slavery

Sometimes (rarely) I love Texas. Today's one of those days, when I got an email about CLOUT - Citizens Lowering Our Unfair Taxes. We pay no state income tax here, yet the sales tax and property taxes are among the highest in the country. I do find it unfair that I pay the same amount of state income tax whether I'm employed or not - didn't my college professors refer to that as a regressive tax?

In Texas, everytime a politician (on either side of The Aisle) even thinks about raising taxes, we all send them back to making Sno-Cones at Wal-Mart. It doesn't matter if their arguments are valid; we simply have no stomach for anyone who can't reform school finance, build the Trans-Texas Corridor, or send a woman a brimless hat (inside joke) without doing so for 10% less than has been done in prior years.

Any politician who thinks they have the political moxey ("courage") to raise taxes might as well move back to one of them bleedin-heart liberal, knee-jerk Card Carrying Member of the ACLU, seal/puppy killer states that voted against President Quagmire in 2004. The fact that His popularity is aiming for 40% Real Soon Now is Inconsequential.

Lest I forgot, I must continue to try to corner the market on wire coat hangers. Just not at Wal-Mart, Thank-You-Very-Much.

1 comment:

William Bob said...

A state income tax seems much like the idea of having the state legislature meet every year. Yes, there are some things which don't get addressed under the current scheme, but on the other hand, there are some things that don't get addressed.

Know what I mean?